Taking Small Steps for Big Change
Walking is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your health. But can we really take 1 billion steps between Jan. 9 and the end of NPHW? We can if we all walk together. Join APHA’s 1 Billion Steps Challenge as a member of Team APHA. Or you can create your own team and invite your friends and colleagues to get involved. Together, we’ll have a lot of fun and improve our health on the way to achieving 1 billion steps. Read our FAQ page to learn more.
Create your own team
APHA makes it easy and fun for you to promote walking in your organization, in your community or even among a group of friends. We’ve partnered with Stridekick to give you free access to their fitness tracking platform. Create a team for your friends or colleagues, or use our sample marketing materials and invite your whole community to join! No matter how big or small, we make it easy for you to get people walking.
An easy and fun way for everyone to get healthy
- Anyone can join – everyone can have fun.
- Sync your step counting device, smart phone or enter steps manually.
- Walk as an individual, join a team or create your own team.
- Teams can be big or small – no limits on how many can join.
- Use fun statistics to motivate yourself and teams as we track our collective progress towards 1Billion Steps.
- Use your team name and co-branded marketing materials to build your organization’s reputation in your community.
- Run your walking challenge any time between Jan. 9 and April 9.
- APHA manages all the details – just recruit people and start walking!
The perfect way to celebrate National Public Health Week
It’s fun. It’s healthy. And it’s also a great platform to start a conversation about designing communities that promote physical activity for all. Give everyone access to parks, paths and sidewalks that make walking easy and safe. Expand the number of bike lanes and promote active commuting. These are examples of community improvements that will help create the healthiest nation in one generation.
Read this Public Health Newswire post about how two 1 Billion Steps Challenge teams — Dent County Health Department in Missouri and Platt College School of Nursing in Aurora, Colorado — are leveraging the challenge to promote health in their communities.
Questions? Email us!
Register & sync your device Register to enter steps manually